banner photo:

"Each individual should allow reason to guide his conduct, or like an animal, he will need to be led by a leash."
Diogenes of Sinope


Banner photo
University of Guelph - Guelph, Ontario

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Revenge of the Undead

Sweet mother of god - please, no....

Pierre Trudeau's life has been turned into an opera in five acts, according to the National Post. The work, Trudeau: Long March/Shining Path, by librettist George Elliott Clarke and composer D.D. Jackson, features duets between Trudeau and Mao Zedong, Fidel Castro and Nelson Mandela. Some sample lyrics:

I did what I liked
Loafed in Quebec and motorbiked
So cool, with a Prussian helmet on
A rich man's son, crying "Revolution!"
But how embarrassed soon I was
Spying the photographs of Holocaust
The ovens and bones of Aushchwitz
While I lounged, comfy, in swank ski chalets.
To make up for the war I missed
I toured a globe quite blown to bits.
In 1948, I saw
The birth of Israel, that awe
From genocide emerge and stand
Embattled in the desert sand.
In China now, I follow Mao
His Long March through civil war.

I'm sure this opus will be in continuous repertoire at the Hell Centre for the Performing Arts.

No comments: